Friday, June 26, 2009

# 10 Centerpieces: Trees/Sticks!


In keeping with the woodsy/whimsical theme, I noticed that manzanita branches are really popular as centerpieces and with florists. Above isn't a manzanita branch which is why I I posted the picture from the knot.com. They are also very expensive- especially for sticks that I have in the backyard!!

I have also considered using actual baby trees/bushes as centerpieces where they would be fairly tall as to not obstruct guests' views and pruned adorably. This option would possibly take longer because I have to actually find the trees at the right size, uproot them, prune and plant them. With the sticks, I don't have to worry so much about the keeping them alive part.

Why consider using my backyard sticks instead of traditional flowers as centerpieces?
- as an environmentalist, I want to limit the amount of cut and imported flowers
- oh, they die and are a serious waste of resources- those poor Mexicans pricking themselves!
- they are FREE
- I can make the centerpieces early on as opposed to week of
- they won't die!
- I'm basically recycling my backyard because I will use the broken off branches

IF I decide not to go the live tree route and opt for the branches as centerpieces, I'll basically have to revamp them. Spray metallic paint(maybe not b/c it's bad for the ozone), hang origami cranes, x-mas lights, or interesting ornaments. Either way, it'll be neat! If I do have time though, I'll have to do the live tree- I much prefer living plants that I can literally replant back or give it to people to plant in addition to my baby pine tree favors!

No comments:

Post a Comment