Thursday, June 25, 2009

# 7 Wedding Cheesecake_Trial 1

Did I mention I wanted to try and take on making and decorating my own wedding cake? Not only cake, but NY styled cheesecake.

I never even CONSIDERED it until I sat down and thought about 1) the price ($800-1,000), 2) the expensive part of the cake was the labor in decorating it, and 3) I actually really wanted to decorate it. So, the hard part for me would be in baking it at the right time and temperature in the right size. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I called a baker to see if she available on my wedding day and she said no. However, I could pick up the cake the day before if I wanted to. Screw that- I'll be paying for an expensive cake that couldn't be decorated on site, aka I'll be doing it myself anyway after paying someone! Negative. Another hard part for me would be trying to find the time to decorate my cake- cheesecake can actually be frozen for weeks so when I need it, all I have to do is make the tiers, add the flower oasis in the middle, stick the flowers in the middle few days before the date, and just construct the whole pre-done piece the day of! Easy peasy! I'll probably make the cake 1-2 weeks prior, freeze it, and do the flower arrangements few days prior with my bridal party (aka bouquets, boutonnières, cake flowers). LOVE it!

LINKS:


TRIAL #1: Philadelphia New York Sour Cream Topped Style Cheesecake

Why: It was a deliciously easy and very basic template for a cheesecake. I used it before and the taste was great but the execution was terrible so this time I opted to not to use such a large recipe, used a blender, and cooked it all the way this time.

Result: Tasted great! I halved the recipe just to see if I could nail it down without wasting expensive cream cheese. I know the sour cream made it taste great. The only thing I thought that could have made it perfect was getting it fluffier in texture.

Above: Without the white frosting on the cheesecake (ew), I was going to have a median filler to 1) make the take look SUPER tall and 2) that would be the easiest way to decorate the cake because I'll be so busy with other elements of the wedding day of.

1 comment: