Tuesday, October 27, 2009

# 92 Ethics... Green over Greed?

I am feeling really guilty about my purchases. Not because they cost anything but because I could have reduced my carbon footprint with them, yet I chose not to. I bought my dress overseas which was custom-made and I bought the flowers which are from Latin America. Now, buying imports doesn't necessarily make me a bad person but because they didn't advertise as "fair-trade" or "organic" and obviously they're not "local" I just feel bad all around. And for what... my "dream flowers." Boo. Too late now.

I don't know... Bad vs. Good + Maybe

Bad:
- dress imported
- flowers imported
- flowers are CUT
- food = conventionally prepared
- buying new products like tablecloths, plates, & silverware
- buying disposable little plates for apps and dessert
- buying disposable napkins

Good:
- drastically reduced # of cut flowers
- making vases out of red and stone white clay
- reusing branches in nature
- adding moss, leaves, and other natural greenery in decor
- buying thrift store finds of glassware, thus repurposing
- renting chairs and tables
- borrowing supplies & tables from Kay who will in turn reuse them for other parties
- decided not to hire an out of state musician
- will have recycle bins
- resell tablecloths, plates, and ware. If not, someone in my family of restauranteurs will use them for their own.

Maybe:
- see if local farmers' markets will sell local fruits to me in bulk to reduce traveling long distances

No comments:

Post a Comment