Saturday, June 29, 2013

Crockpot Apple Pie



So I bought a bag of organic Fuji apples from Publix literally a month ago. Took one bite and wanted to throw it away, it was so bland. Instead, I just let it sit out. And sit. And they were getting kind of fugly. So I threw them in the fridge, vowing to create some sort of sauce or puree from it so it wouldn't go to waste. Today was that day. Laurel took a 2 hour nap which was enough for me to cook up a storm.

I cored and sliced the apples and set them aside. I used half of them in my previous vegan chili post but wasn't sure what to do with the other half. I let them sit out for hours until I realize how much I wanted apple pie. I thought if I could combine the bland apples with sugar, cinnamon, and flour, I would be able to mask the boring flavor, especially since it'll be cooked. I read somewhere that you could cook bread in a crockpot, so I figured there's got to be way to do a slow cooker pie. Needless to say, there was this recipe. I'm actually eating it a I type! It's not bad, the bready part is what I was really craving as the apples still have no flavor. Not bad!

8 C apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 eggs (beaten)
3/4 C milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 C sugar
5 Tbsp. butter  (softened)
1 1/2 C biscuit baking mix (divided in half)
1/3 C brown sugar  
1/2 tsp. cinnamon 

No comments:

Post a Comment